Everyone suffers from headaches sometimes. But, headaches everyday aren’t normal. Constant headaches are not normal. Chronic daily headaches are when you have a headache for 15 days or more per month. Even if the headache is not excruciating, battling constant headaches can be debilitating. If you suffer from chronic headaches, please visit our headache clinic Dallas location for compassionate treatment.
There are different types of headaches: tension headaches, migraines, cluster headaches, and hemicrania continua. Each of these types of headaches has different causes and different symptoms.
When Should I See a Doctor for Headaches Everyday?
When your headaches begin interfering with your everyday life, it’s probably time to see a doctor.
You should make an appointment with an expert if you experience:
- Three or more headaches in a week
- Headaches that get worse or don’t improve with OTC medication
- You need an OTC medication almost everyday to control headaches
- You notice that things such as physical exertion or strenuous activity triggers your headaches
- Your headaches interfere with day-to-day activities
Before seeing your doctor, it is a good idea to keep a diary of your headaches. Include how often they occur and if you’ve noticed any triggers.
What are Common Types of Headaches?
The term chronic daily headache is broad and can include any of the following types of headaches. Therefore, if you are having headaches everyday, you may be experiencing:
Tension headaches feel like a band is tightening around the head. Some people who experience tension headaches also experience tenderness in the scalp, neck, and shoulders, as well as sensitivity to light and sound.
There are few headaches worse than the common migraine. Migraines are neurological episodes that cause intense, throbbing pain on one or both sides of the head. Migraine headaches can have several stages and vary in intensity. Also, sensitivity to light and sound sometimes accompany a migraine. For this reason, people may mistake a tension headache for a migraine. Migraine headaches everyday can absolutely interfere with everyday life. Though constant headaches can be debilitating no matter what, migraine headaches are the most frequently debilitating.
These headaches occur on one side of the head. Hemicranie continua can feel similar to a standard headache.
What are the Symptoms of Constant Headaches?
The symptoms of a constant headache vary depending on the type of headache you are experiencing. If you are having headaches everyday, you may be experiencing:
- Head pain involving one or both sides of your head
- Pulsing, throbbing, or tightening feeling
- Pain that varies in intensity from mild to severe
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sensitivity to light or sounds
- A stuffy or runny nose
- Redness or tearing up of the eyes
Why Do I Have Headaches Everyday?
Doctors don’t have a good idea of what causes headache symptoms. Some possible causes of headaches everyday include:
- Tightening of the muscles in the head and neck. This creates tension and pain.
- Stimulation of the trigeminal nerve. The trigeminal nerve is the primary nerve in the face. Activation of this nerve can cause pain behind the eyes as well as stuffy nose and eye redness.
- Changes in hormone levels. This is more common in women than in men. Fluctuating levels of estrogen and serotonin can cause headaches.
- Genetics. Some people are simply more prone to headaches than others.
Environmental triggers of headaches can include stress, changes in weather, lack of sleep, or caffeine use.
Sometimes overuse of medication can trigger constant headaches. If you are experiencing headaches everyday and frequently take over the counter medication, you may be experiencing these rebound headaches. You are at risk for these rebound headaches if you use over the counter or prescription pain medication more than two days a week.
Is There a Treatment for Headaches Everyday?
Treatment for constant headaches will be different for everybody. It depends on the type of headache you are experiencing. Your doctor will work with you to determine which treatment will be optimal for you.
If your doctor cannot determine an underlying cause for your headache, they will prescribe pain medications against your headache symptoms. At the Migraine Institute in Plano, Texas, our migraine experts will work closely with patients to determine their headache triggers and help them manage their symptoms.
Some treatments for constant headaches include:
There are medications that can treat or prevent headaches everyday. Some of these medications include:
- Antidepressants called tricyclics can help prevent headaches. They can also manage the anxiety and depression that can occur with or cause headaches everyday.
- Beta-blockers such as propranolol and metoprolol can prevent headaches everyday.
- NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen and naproxen can control the symptoms of a constant headache. Do not overuse these medications. Like we discussed earlier, they can lead to rebound headaches.
- Some anti-seizure medications like gabapentin and topiramate can work to prevent headaches.
- An injection of botulinum neurotoxin, or a Botox injection, can reduce and prevent headaches everyday. This is an option for people who aren’t tolerating any daily medication.
What are Non-Medication Therapies for Daily Headaches?
Treatments for headaches everyday don’t just involve medication. Other therapies are available, sometimes in combination with medications. Non-medication therapies include:
- Behavioral Therapy-You can receive this treatment individually or in a group. This can help you cope with the effects of your headache.
- Biofeedback-This method uses monitoring devices to help you understand and learn to manage body functions such as blood pressure, heart rate, and muscle tension.
- Acupuncture-This involves inserting tiny needles into specific places on the body. Many people believe in the power of acupuncture, though science has yet to prove its exact uses.
- Massage-Massage can help with relaxation and reduce muscle tension.
- Lifestyle Changes -Some lifestyle changes can help manage constant headaches. This usually involves avoiding your headache triggers, or getting enough sleep, or avoiding smoking cigarettes. Some people find that avoiding caffeine reduces their constant headaches.
Get Relief Today At The Migraine Institute
The Migraine Institute in Plano, Texas uses holistic, evidence-based methods to help you manage your headaches. If you are having headaches everyday, contact Dr. Rodriguez and his team at 214.709.1904. You can also send us a short message to start getting relief today.